When I was watching the first round of American Idol 9’s Top 24 performances, I was wondering what happened to the show and the quality of the contestants they are getting now. It only proves that the show’s magic has waned, which most probably also explains my underwhelming reception of the current season. Nevertheless, Season 7 & 8 contestants are the best batches for me.
Anyhow, here’s my ONE WORD assessment of the Top 12 girls’ performances last night, arranged from the better to worst:
1. SIOBHAN MAGNUS – Performer#10, sang Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, Verdict: HAUNTING
2. DIDI BENAMI – Performer#9, sang The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson, Verdict: SUBTLE
3. MICHELLE DELAMOR – Performer #8, sang Fallin’ by Alicia Keys, Verdict: PROFESSIONAL
4. CRYSTAL BOWERSOX – Performer#11, sang Hand In My Pocket by Alanis Morisette, Verdict: FRESH
5. KATELYN EPPERLY – Performer#5, sang Oh! Darling by The Beatles, Verdict: CONFIDENT
6. LILLY SCOTT – Performer#4, sang Fixin’ A Hole by The Beatles, Verdict: QUIRKY
7. KATIE STEVENS – Performer#12, sang Feeling Good by Michael Buble, Verdict: PROM-Y
8. HAELEY VAUGHN – Performer#6, sang I Want To Hold Your Hand by The Beatles, Verdict: BIZARRE
9. PAIGE MILES – Performer#1, sang Alright Now by Free, Verdict: CONVENTIONAL
10. [ELIMINATED, 2/25/2010]ASHLEY RODRIGUEZ – Performer#2, sang Happy by Leona Lewis, Verdict: BORING
11. [ELIMINATED, 2/25/2010] JANELL WHEELER, Performer#3, sang What About Love by Heart, Verdict: [another] BORING
12. LACEY BROWN – Performer#7, sang Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, Verdict: PITCHY [a real landslide]
The judges have been bragging about the girls of this season of being the strongest, but the performances are lackluster, boring and really lack that WOW factor. To be fair, it’s their first time to perform live and they are still adjusting and nervous and all that. Those are valid alibis at this point but they have to remember that first impressions are very important in this competition. I might have a feeling that the judges are just over-estimating.
Let’s see next what the Top 12 boys can do.